How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Muhammad Haider Your Own Question
Muhammad Haider
Muhammad Haider,
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 817
Experience:  Director at HM Accountax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Muhammad Haider is online now

If I move to the EU and move my permanent residency there,

This answer was rated:

If I move to the EU and move my permanent residency there, how will taxation work. Specifically, Austria.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am Irish, I currently have residence in the UK and would like to work in Austria. I haven't filed anything with the UK gov yet. I'm looking to see if I would only pay taxation in Austria or if I would also need to pay tax in the UK.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, apart from my employer is willing to continue or set up a new contract for me to work remotely.


I am an advisor at JA and happy to assist you.

If you are non resident in UK then you don't need to pay tax in UK. You'll pay tax in the country you'll move to. You need to submit P85 to HMRC.



Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the tax payment stops in the UK on the date I move and my payments in Austria start straight away? Or would it be more likely that my total income for the year (including payments already made) would be taxed by Austria and a refund due in the UK? If this is the case, how does the tax year impact this. Austria runs Jan to Dec which is different to the UK.Also, I'm assuming I need to do the same sort of work on the Austrian side to make them aware of my employment and income. Do you have knowledge of how this may work?Thanks,

Hi Ros,

If you send P85 to HMRC and they accept it - That's the point where HMRC will issue non resident tax code and you won't need to pay any taxes in UK afterwards.

With regards ***** ***** side, I'll suggest that you speak to an accountant in Austria.



Muhammad Haider and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Muhammad, Thanks for you advice.