bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Could using a UK mailbox, utility bill cause a UK tax

Could using a UK mailbox, utility bill cause a UK tax residency for a UK non-resident or other trouble from UK gov?I am a German citizen. Digital nomad. Never visited UK and don't plan to visit UK. Not have any legal entity there.Due to banks require a utility bill for account creation, I am considering paying someone's utility bill in UK.Banks would do the CRS (common reporting standard), reporting of income, balance for any accounts registered and send that to UK.Is there any chance that UK would claim me being a tax resident of UK?What would HMRC do with such CRS reports? Would be ignored since I am not a resident of UK?In worst case, HMRC would ask for proof where I live? (Which I could provide using rent contract, passport visa stamps, bank statements.)Would HMRC forward the CRS report elsewhere?Would it matter where incoming money is coming from?Would the location of my bank accounts matter UK vs non-UK banks?In other words, "how to avoid running a business from the UK"?I wish to minimize any contact with HMRC. (Except proving, I don't stay in UK.) And of course, a legal setup.Is this an OK setup? Have you heard any related reports about this?

Not a hope, Banks are notoriously stupid about customers, never seeming to realise that the account holder's sole connection with the UK is his bank account.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could using a UK mailbox and utility bill in my name (that I use to be granted bank accounts) cause a personal UK tax residency or business tax residency for a UK non-resident or other trouble from UK gov? This is what I want to avoid.

Not a problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good! Banks would send a CRS (common reporting standard), reporting of income, balance for any banks accounts registered on a UK address to HMRC. What would HMRC do with the report? They would look into immigration system, see I am not there and then call it a day? Something else?

Nothing, merely send it to HMRC if requested.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is a non-resident UK company?(Form: Self Assessment: Non-resident Company Income Tax Return (SA700))I don't want my non-UK company to become a non-UK resident company.Form "Non-resident Company Income Tax Return notes (2021)" mentions non-UK resident companies but I cannot find any definition what that is.

Because the definition does not exist.