bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a UK citizen (non resident) living in Singapore and I

Hi, I am a UK citizen (non resident) living in Singapore and I intend to return to the UK in the next 6 months. I have never lived in my own property in the UK but I own buy to let properties. I would like to buy my main residence when I return but I am trying to understand how I can purchase a property as my main residence and be exempt from the additional 3% that I have to pay on a second property. Is it possible for me to purchase a property as my main residence or do I have to first live in one of my existing buy to let properties until I can claim it as my main residence? This seems an odd thing to have to do so I am just trying to understand the situation.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I have talked to my accountant but I don't think he is so familiar with expats returning to UK. Could you advise who I should talk to? An accountant or a solicitor (conveyancer), other expert?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am also subject to the additional 2% as an overseas buyer but I assume once I return to UK I won't have to pay this - or will be able to claim back later after purchase.

Sorry, from what you have told me you will still be subject to the surcharge.