How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10270
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a UK citizen (non resident) living in Singapore and I

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a UK citizen (non resident) living in Singapore and I intend to return to the UK in the next 6 months. I have never lived in my own property in the UK but I own buy to let properties. I would like to buy my main residence when I return but I am trying to understand how I can purchase a property as my main residence and be exempt from the additional 3% that I have to pay on a second property. Is it possible for me to purchase a property as my main residence or do I have to first live in one of my existing buy to let properties until I can claim it as my main residence? This seems an odd thing to have to do so I am just trying to understand the situation.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I have talked to my accountant but I don't think he is so familiar with expats returning to UK. Could you advise who I should talk to? An accountant or a solicitor (conveyancer), other expert?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am also subject to the additional 2% as an overseas buyer but I assume once I return to UK I won't have to pay this - or will be able to claim back later after purchase.

Sorry, from what you have told me you will still be subject to the surcharge.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you