How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10270
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Is there a possibility to not give up my uk residence and

This answer was rated:

Is there a possibility to not give up my uk residence and still get some tax relief? because of being outside the uk for 183+ days

Possibly, did you send HMRC a Form P85 when you left the UK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no I have not sent anything yet as I have no confirmed return date

Then send one in at once advising your original departure date.

The form is available on the web and can be filed on line.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just being cautious if it might affect my permanent resident status?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would you big duck happen to know if they are connected?

That is what the P85 is for to notify a change of residence to one overseas.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay, do you know on the top of your head how much tax I could get back for last tax for being outside of the uk for more than 183days? have you had similar cases?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
like a roughly half of the tax paid back? or how does this work

Probably not a lot, in extreme circumstances as little as 14 days residence can trigger a liability.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got ya, what advise would you give me to look at instead to deduct some tax for 2020? asking the big duck on tax, please help with some good advise since I have never declared any tax deductions in the UK. would you be able to give me some hints on what to look at?

I would suggest that it be appropriate to make a self assessment tax return for the years in question setting out your residential position. Then you will know onw way or the other.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you big duck

Pleased to have been able to help.