Expert Lu
Expert Lu, Business Consultant
Experience:  ACCA Diploma
109074415

I have just sold my house £210,00 can I split £150,00

Customer Question

I have just sold my house £210,00 can I split £150,00 between my 3 children I am 95 years old
JA: When was the property or asset sold?
Customer: 30th April 21
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that i know off
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 22 days ago.

I am an expert with Just Answer  and I am happy to assist you with your question.

I am currently reviewing your question  and I will get back to you .

Thank you in advance

Expert:  Expert Lu replied 22 days ago.

Thank you for your patience  , after reviewing  your question,  yes you can gift them , if it is £150000 divided between the 3 it will be below the inheritance  threshold you can gift them.

Please kindly feel free to ask if you need me to clarify  my answer.

All the best

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I thought inheritance tax was only after death, if i gift now before death do other taxes apply to me or my children?
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 22 days ago.

No there is no tax due , you are correct inheritance tax will only come through  after death but the amount is below the threshold, so they will not be liable to any IHT.