How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert Lu Your Own Question
Expert Lu
Expert Lu, Business Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 230
Experience:  ACCA Diploma
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Expert Lu is online now

Is it legal for joint property owners to change from 'joint

Customer Question

Hi, is it legal for joint property owners to change from 'joint tenants' (50/50 split) to 'tenants in common' with say a 95/05 split, to reduce the CGT liability in a transfer of equity?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 15 days ago.
I am an expert with JustAnswer and I am happy to assist you with your question. It is very possible as they are no strict rules , you can choose what ever split suits you.
Please kindly feel free to ask if you need me to clarify my answer.
All the best *****
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Lu, thanks for your reply but yes, could you clarify a little please? Could or would this be seen by HMRC as tax avoidance? And would the owners have to justify such an equity split to the HMRC?
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 15 days ago.


you are most welcome , it is not seen as tax avoidance , it is legal to change from joint tenants to tenants in common .

I hope that answers your question.