How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7989
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am on the Tier 4 Visa in the UK. I work as a content

This answer was rated:

I am on the Tier 4 Visa in the UK. I work as a content creator/influencer for different brands and was advised by my university(who sponsored my visa) that I can work as long as my contract mentions that it is within the 20 hour per week limit and that I am only being paid for those hours.I currently hold the Tier 4 visa with a Biometric Residence Permit. Pakistan has a DTA with the UK ( do not know if I qualify as a tax-paying resident in the UK or if I am eligible for a Personal Allowance.Would it be possible to work for a non-UK employer in the UK and have them pay my earnings into my Pakistani bank account. I can then only pay taxes in Pakistan? Would I still need to file for taxes in the UK?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m, a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

It is possible to work for non-UK employer in the UK. You declare your earnings on your tax return and pay UK tax on this income. You will be entitled to personal allowance as a normal UK taxpayer.

Any tax suffered on this income in Pakistan will be available for foreign tax credit against UK tax on same income. You should register for self assessment and obtain a UTR (unique taxpayer reference) number from HMRC. Once you have UTR, you will be able to file your tax return online. You can register here

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** need to register with the HMRC even if I earn less than 12,500 GBP(I believe this is the Personal Allowance)?
And will I register as self-employed or not self-employed?

Thank you for your reply.

You should register as self employed. Your total income maybe is less than the personal allowance, you should still register for self assessment.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you so much, this was really helpful

Thank you for your kind words.

If there are no other issues I will appreciate if we could regard my responses/answer to this question as accepted.

Many thanks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you