taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am registered to Self Assessment, but I am not

Hi there,I am registered to Self Assessment, but I am not self-employed, I am employed by a company full time yet the HMRC website says that my balance is 627.34 GBP on the Self Assessment section. How can I tell them that I am not self-employed and I don't want to pay for this?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hey, thanks so much for looking into it!

You don't have to be self employed to register for self assessment.

You may have to register for self assessment if not all of your income is taxed at source. Income that is not taxed at source includes

self employment, Interest on savings, Dividend payments and UK property income.

On the otherhand, if you are a higher rate tax payer you may have been given a tax code that is higher than your eventual personal allowance as you start losing personal allowance if your income exceeds £100k.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
my salary is only 55k, so that's within the 100k bandwidth - so I don't know why they want to charge me 600+ pounds. Is there a way to contact them?

Thank you for your reply.

You should check your tax code. It should be 1257L. Looking at your tax account you should be able to see if there is underpayment from previous years not collected through tax coding notice.

You can contact HMRC on Telephone number 0300(###) ###-####

Opening times: Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

You may have to wait for long due to many staff working from home.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Great! I think I will give them a call then :) many thanks for your help!

I thank you for accepting my answer.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.

Best wishes.