How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10253
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am currently working from home for a UK based employer as

This answer was rated:

I am currently working from home for a UK based employer as a British citizen. I am planning to work abroad for a year roughly split as follows:
- 6 months in Japan (from July 2021 to Feb 2022) on a spouse visa
- 6 months in Pakistan (from Feb 2022 to July 2022) as a Pakistani nationalI have some questions about this scenario:1. Can I legally work from home in these countries, and do I have to pay tax on my UK based income in those countries? Cursory research indicates that both countries seems to adhere to the 183 days rule for tax residency, under which you do not have to pay tax. Is this understanding correct?2. While I am abroad do I have to pay UK income tax on my salary from my employer?3. I will be renting out my flat in the UK via a UK letting agency. Will I have to pay tax on the the rent amount?4. From a tax perspective will I be considered a resident in the UK for the travel period?5. I have never filled a tax return myself, will I need to in this scenario?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: I'm not filing for tax, just a general inqury
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

When you say working abroad, do you mean relocating to Japan and Pakistan?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It wont be a relocation, just going to visit for 6 months with my family.

You might find yourself in difficulties and being resident in noless than three countries and having to rely on Double Taxation Treaties for protection.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But what about the 183 day limit before you become resident in each country outside UK?

That does not necessarily apply to other countries or even the UK. You can find yourself resident in the UK for a mere 14 days and still liable to UK taxation.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
considering only one country for now, Japan. I have confirmed that they will not tax me if I stay there less than 183 days. If I pay tax in the UK for the full period, then I should be ok, and there isn't anything else to consider?

Well no, but just bear in mind that you cannot just swan around the world not paying tax anywhere.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Understood, I intend to keep paying tax in the UK during these travels in any case. Thanks for the help!

Delighted to have been of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you