How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10250
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

A quick question i am hoping somebody could answer. If a

This answer was rated:

Hi There.A quick question i am hoping somebody could answer.If a property is owned by a father, and he wants to sell the property and pass on some of the funds to one of his children.Would there be any Tax or costs incurred?

The UK has no Gifts Tax regime so the money comes to his children free of tax. Just thank your lucky stars you don't live in France where the tax starts at 70% over 5K Euros.

However, the gift creates a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in his Inheritance Tax (IHT) affairs. PETs run off over seven years at a taper and in the event of his decease within this period are added back to his estate and exposed to IHT. PETs are the first to suffer IHT and if the deceased's estate is insufficient to meet the tax on the PET then the liability cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment. IHT does not, of course kick in until assets on death exceed 325K

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much. So if the amount gifted to the child was around 80k there would be no cost to pay by the child in a worst case scenario? Or would the 80k just play a part of the total 325k between all beneficiaries?

In the worst case scenario, an early decease and the added back PET generating an IHT liability and the estate unable to pay then the tax could fall on the child.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you