taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I own a company currently and I have 3 people working for me

Customer Question

I own a company currently and I have 3 people working for me currently on a job who are all self employed, how long can they work for me?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: I file as a LTD company
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have paid the £5
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

If these individuals are working for your company only and you dictate their working hours and control their work etc then they should be classed as employees. If they are working on a project and will also work for other people then they can class themselves as self employed.

A genral rule is if you work for someone and do not have the risks of running a business then you are an employee. If you run your own business on your own account and are responsible for the success or failure of that business then you are self employed.

The project/ job would be short term if on full time basis.

Some useful information to establish employment status here

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/self-employment/am-i-employed-self-employed-both-or-neither

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the project is a take over project moving from another company to my company so I would not know initially if it will be a full time placement, this will be reviewed after 6 months to establish if it is a full time contract for me. so for this time period this would be ok ?

Thank you for your reply.

You should prepare a contact for service with the individuals stipulating that it is short term and to be reviewed in 6 months time. You will have something to defend your decision if challenged by HMRC.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 6 days ago.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!