How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 30573
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I work for an American company as a freelancer based in the

This answer was rated:

I work for an American company as a freelancer based in the UK
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No I just need to know what form to fill in before they pay me
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am a freelancer but the company pay me for 35 hours a week
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am required to fill out a tax form before I will be paid, eg. W-8BEN, W9, 8233, but I don't know which form to fill in. Which one is suitable for me?

If you are not a US person you complete form W8 BEN

Give Form W-8 BEN to the withholding agent or payer if you are a foreign person and you are the beneficial owner of an amount subject to withholding.

Submit Form W-8 BEN when requested by the withholding agent or payer whether or not you are claiming a reduced rate of, or exemption from, withholding.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Does that cover me as a freelancer rather than an employee?


The US company needs that so they can deduct the payment to you from their income

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you