How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9390
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I live on a pension and have not filed a tax return, as I

Customer Question

I live on a pension and have not filed a tax return, as I was told by DWP that foreign pensions are not declared. I'm now worried that it's incorrect information.
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: Since 2009
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that I'm terrified I've done something wrong.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 14 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 14 days ago.


Foreign pension should be declared to HMRC along with any foreign tax suffered

However it maybe that you don't have any UK tax liability so can you advise further on

The amount of this pension per year (converted to sterling) how much foreign tax paid (converted to sterling|)

Any other income you receive each year

I van then advise further



Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Social Security £669.00 Federal Railroad Retirement £462.00 UK pension £149.00
Expert:  Sam replied 14 days ago.


is that annually ?

Any tax deducted ?