Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am due to retire from the Police on the 9th of June 2021,

Customer Question

I am due to retire from the Police on the 9th of June 2021, I have been offered a job as a civilian investigator starting on the 12th of July, the question is do it require a one month gap or 6 months gap, HMRC rules say the job has to be materially different, my understanding is that the two roles are different but I need clarification from HMRC before taking up this role to avoid a tax penalty on my pension
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Sam replied 16 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 16 days ago.

Will the roles differ - how so ?

Why cant they simply transfer you to the new job instead of retiring you ?