Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am an EU national with settle status in the UK. I live in

Hello, I am an EU national with settle status in the UK. I live in Spain but I earn money in the UK through my online business. I understand I am non-resident and therefore I would need to be eligible for Personal Allowance to only pay tax on earning above 12,500 threshold. My question is, how do I become eligible for Personal Allowance? Thank you

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

You have to claim it when you are presumably declaring UK income or its immaterial

See link here re your entitlement

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/personal-allowance

However note if you have UK arising income you have to declare it plus claim the personal allowance and declare your non residency position through the completion of a self assessment tax return

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** I missed the deadline to claim the Personal Allowance at the end of last tax year in which you had UK income, which would have been April 2021? What could I do about this? Many thanks. Please let me know if you prefer that I send you a different question thread if that's best for you!

Its not too late you have three years to amend your tax return so you send an amendment in claiming the personal allowances

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Fantastic, thank you! I actually haven't submitted my tax return yet - it's due on Jan 2022, but I thought that I had to claim Personal Allowance by April 2021 but that's not correct?. I am Spanish meaning I'm a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) country - does this mean I'll definitely get Personal Allowance or is there anything that could keep me from it?Thanks, I'm giving you a great rating!
Ines

No you claim it year end so when for the tax year 2020/2021 (from 06/04/2020 to 05/04/2021) you have until 31/10.2021 if filing a paper return or by 31/1/2022 if filing third party software (as HMRC's free online system is not equipped to manage a residency page or claim for personal allowance due to being abroad)

No until Brexit changes the tax regime you remain entitled to personal allowances (and then when and if it changes it will be for future years not back years that have passed)