How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7986
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If someone is employed for a job but works separately as

This answer was rated:

If someone is employed for a job but works separately as self employed, if you leave the employment, does the employer need your UTR to issue your P45 and P60?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: I worked as a personal PA and I was paid for that role. I also did a small amount of self employment in a different field. The employer whose job I have resigned from says she needs my UTR number from self employment to issue me my P45 but I don't want to share this information. Am I obliged to give it to them?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

The employer does not need your UTR number to issue you a P45. The employer has all your details e.g. your BI number, Tax code aand residential address to issue a P45 when you leave your employment. As the employer issues P60 at the end of tax year showing your total earnings in employment and tax paid, they have the relevant information.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the employer only supplies the information for their job, not for all my employment in different places?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please just answer this question and then ill be happy...I don't need to speak

Thank you for your reply.

If you have two jobs and decide to leave one then the employer will only supply information relating to employment being left.

Each employer issues P45 relating to earnings from their employment.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

If there are no other issues I will appreciate if we could regard my responses/answer to this question as accepted.

Many thanks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.

Best wishes.