TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Can i claim any tax exemption when I sell a rental property

can i claim any tax exemption when I sell a rental property which I owned with my deceased husband for 13 years up until 2010
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: NO
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

There is letting relief but only that.  Lettings relief is a valuable relief that may reduce the capital gains tax (CGT) payable on the sale of a property, which was at some point used as the taxpayer's only or main residence, and which has also been let as residential accommodation.

If you’ve sold a buy-to-let property since April 6, 2020 and are required to pay CGT, you have 30 days to notify HMRC and make a payment. The 30-day period starts from the sale completion date.