How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 30566
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Can i claim any tax exemption when I sell a rental property

This answer was rated:

can i claim any tax exemption when I sell a rental property which I owned with my deceased husband for 13 years up until 2010
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: NO
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

There is letting relief but only that.  Lettings relief is a valuable relief that may reduce the capital gains tax (CGT) payable on the sale of a property, which was at some point used as the taxpayer's only or main residence, and which has also been let as residential accommodation.

If you’ve sold a buy-to-let property since April 6, 2020 and are required to pay CGT, you have 30 days to notify HMRC and make a payment. The 30-day period starts from the sale completion date.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you