How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert Lu Your Own Question
Expert Lu
Expert Lu, Business Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 236
Experience:  ACCA Diploma
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Expert Lu is online now

I'm looking for some advice regarding tax, The last 3 years,

This answer was rated:

Hello! I'm looking for some advice regarding tax
JA: For which tax year do you need advice?
Customer: The last 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am a UK citizen who left the UK 11 years ago
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I left the UK 11 years ago and lived on savings for the first few years before traveling on and off to Australia where I worked and saved money on a working holiday visa. For the times I was in Australia, I was registered as a resident for tax purposes but since then I have not been registered as a tax resident anywhere else. Approximately 3 years ago I started to do some work online whilst travelling around SE Asia on - My question is whether I should be paying tax on this to someone? Technically, I have not actually been a resident anywhere as I have always been on tourist visas and moving around a lot but it occurred to me recently that I should get some professional advice on whether I need to pay someone tax on the money I earnt online? Your advice would be greatly appreciated! I am currently based in Indonesia. Many thanks, Jon

Hie Jon and welcome  to JustAnswer, I am an expert with JustAnswer and I am happy  to assist you with your question.

I am currently reviewing your question and I will get back to you.

Thank you in advance

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you :) My understanding is that I'm not a UK resident because I have only spent around 9 months in the UK in total over the last 10 years and therefore I'm not liable to pay any tax to the UK on my foreign income but it would be great to confirm that. Thanks, Jon

Your tourist visa should stipulate  if you are allowed to work or not ? Do you have any idea of the conditions?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm not earning money from the Country I am visiting - I am a consultant for different companies around the World.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
34;Your tourist visa should stipulate if you are allowed to work or not ? Do you have any idea of the conditions?" - Does this affect whether tax should be paid to the UK?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
From a UK perspective, I am not a resident and do not earn any money in the UK

Hello, thank you for your feed back , you are not resident  in the uk therefore  you are not liable to Uk tax , if you are working remotely  in the UK that is still OK.  You do not owe anything.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Excellent - Thanks so much for your answer :)

You are most welcome.

I am happy  I managed  to answer your question.

All the best

Expert Lu and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you