How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10609
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

How can I complete a "Self-Assement" without a NI number

Customer Question

How can I complete a "Self-Assement" without a NI number while I wait for the government to provide me with one?A lot of software accountants and payroll software businesses ask for self-assesment completion and my personal unique employee UTR, but I cannot have a UTR until I get a NI. Is there an online form or something I can do in-terms of the `Self-Assement` while I wait for the NI that I can hand over to these companies as an employee while I wait for my NI?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 21 days ago.

Your local Job Centre can issue you with a NI Number, problem solved.

Otherwise here is a useful link:

Apply for a National Insurance number - GOV.UK (

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have already applied to obtain an National Insurance number in the UK through the government 3 months ago.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 21 days ago.

Yes, well delays these days are commonplace. A NI number will be issued on the spot by a Job Centre.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok, thank you, ***** ***** wait for the official NI from the government for now then. Does a Self-Assessment need to be completed when I get my NI number, and if so which one do I have to complete for being a company director?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 20 days ago.

Just the normal self assessment, the SA100 unless supplementary forms are needed viz:

Self Assessment forms and helpsheets - GOV.UK (