bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a UK SDLT related question. Please can someone

Customer Question

Hello, I have a UK SDLT related question. Please can someone assist?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 17 days ago.

I can try, what is your problem, please? UK SDLT does not exist, it is exclusively England SDLT, Stamp Duty itself having been abolished, delegated to Regional Parliaments and Assemblies and renamed.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello, think I am in luck because you were the one that had answered my question the other day in regards ***** ***** my wife on to my mortgage account during my first renewal. Apologies, got that wrong as I incorrectly referred to that as UK SDLT instead of England, but I had a follow up question in regards ***** ***** previous question
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have learnt from the internet that the SDLT tax holiday is coming to an end on the 30th of September 2021. However, my re-mortgage application is currently sitting in wait due to delays from my prospective lender (Barclays) due to some underwriting concerns owing to my earnings being drawn from a limited company but that aside, I wanted to know 1) if there are any proposals to increase the SDLT holiday deadline beyond September and 2) if I can make a complaint to the financial ombudsman due to financial losses (SDLT) that I am going to incur as a result of this inefficiency of my prospective lender?

1) I think not, although the holiday has already been extended once.

2) You could, but I do not think that you have any possibility of success.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you very much for your crisp answers. However, if you could be so kind as to elaborate in a couple of lines as to why you think I am unlikely to succeed with my appeal to the financial ombudsman, that would help my understanding and conviction.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I ask because I have reason to believe that they have simply sat on my application for over a month now - I was expecting them to respond with yes/no to my application much sooner as it doesn't take this long to decide whether to give a mortgage to someone or not

The lender will merely say that any delay was caused by due process, an argument difficult to overcome.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Right, I understand now, noted, thank you so much sir and have a lovely evening.

Delighted to have been of assistance.