How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10601
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Im have been living in spain for nearly over half a year and

Customer Question

Hi there, Im have been living in spain for nearly over half a year and if I exceed this amount of time I will need to pay tax in spain for the year. Will I be able to get a tax refund from the UK so I dont pay tax in two countries?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 18 days ago.

No, but under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Spain any taxpaid in the UK will be a tax credit against your liability there on the same income stream. I you do not intend to return to the UK you should send a Form P85 to HMRC.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
that means that I will only pay the difference between my UK and Spanish tax, and won't need to pay the full amount of tax for both countries separately?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 18 days ago.

That would appear to be the case, but don't forget the P85 if you haven't already done it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. Can I backdate the P85 to all of 2021? I will need to pay my Spanish tax next year in March for 2021.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 18 days ago.

here is no time limit on the submission of a P85, it is available on the web and can be filed on line.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** how do I arrange for the UK tax paid to be credited to the Spanish tax? is that done with the P85, or do I need to make other arrangements?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 18 days ago.

You will have to do that when you make your Spanish tax declaration.