bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Im have been living in spain for nearly over half a year and

Customer Question

Hi there, Im have been living in spain for nearly over half a year and if I exceed this amount of time I will need to pay tax in spain for the year. Will I be able to get a tax refund from the UK so I dont pay tax in two countries?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 18 days ago.

No, but under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Spain any taxpaid in the UK will be a tax credit against your liability there on the same income stream. I you do not intend to return to the UK you should send a Form P85 to HMRC.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
that means that I will only pay the difference between my UK and Spanish tax, and won't need to pay the full amount of tax for both countries separately?

That would appear to be the case, but don't forget the P85 if you haven't already done it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. Can I backdate the P85 to all of 2021? I will need to pay my Spanish tax next year in March for 2021.

here is no time limit on the submission of a P85, it is available on the web and can be filed on line.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** how do I arrange for the UK tax paid to be credited to the Spanish tax? is that done with the P85, or do I need to make other arrangements?

You will have to do that when you make your Spanish tax declaration.