bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am taking an online vocational training course from a UK

Customer Question

Hi, I am taking an online vocational training course from a UK provider. I live in the US. Can I reclaim the VAT I have to pay?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t believe so?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 18 days ago.

What VAT; these are exports, a zero rated supply, so VAT should have been levied at 0% so there is nothing to reclaim?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
VAT is being levied at 20%. The school is a UK based school, which also offers distance learning. The school confirmed the VAT was payable by me, an individual (not business).

Twaddle, piffle and balderdash; educational services are outside the scope of VAT and even if these were then the rate chargeable is 0% as the services are exports.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, we’ll they are sure the VAT is payable. Perhaps there is a different category of educational services. They said the only time the VAT was not payable by overseas students is when a business is paying the fee.

Not so, educational services are outside the scope of UK VAT, you are being canned; watch out..

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Here is what they responded:If the customer is an individual, you should be charging UK VAT as the place of supply is treated as the UK even if the person lives abroad.

You are being conned.