Expert Lu
Expert Lu, Business Consultant
Experience:  ACCA Diploma
109074415

Am looking for some advice on EMI share taxation from an

Customer Question

Hi - am looking for some advice on EMI share taxation from an employee perspective
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No - thats what I am looking to do
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 14 days ago.

What is your problem please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Exercised some EMI share options with effect from 3rd August 2021. They were granted on 9th September 2019. At date of grant the unrestricted market value at the date of grant was £2.22 and actual market value was £2.00. I bought the shares as 1p per share The shares are not listed or tradable as its a privately owned company but there is an option to sell some on 10th September 2021 as an investor is adding funds and so willing to by off existing share holders. Having read various documents I think that I pay PAYE on the difference between the 1p and £2.22 and then 10% CGT on the difference between the £2.22 and £51 they are being sold at. Is that correct ? also - do I pay the PAYE via self assessment or does my company do that ?
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 13 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome !

Expert:  Expert Lu replied 8 days ago.

I am an expert with Just Answer and I am happy to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Expert Lu replied 8 days ago.

After reviewing your question you will not pay any Payee on this but you will be entitled to pay CGT at a rate of 10 percent on the gain made.

I hope this helps in answering your question.Please kindly feel free to ask if you need me to clarify my answer.

Thank you for conatcting Just Answer.