How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8121
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Second opinion] one of my previous part time employer has

This answer was rated:

second opinion] Hello one of my previous part time employer has failed to update HMRC about me leaving the job. As a consequence of this I was having two jobs at the same time What can I do to get the details amended
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’m a tier 2 visa holder

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

when you left your previous part-time employment you should have received a P45 on leaving that employment unless you were not treated as an employee. YOu should check what tax code was applied to your earnings from that employer.

What is important is for you to have a correct tax code. If you are on a tax code 1257L with your main employer then you are making full use of your tax free personal allowance.

If you are on a lower tax code than you need to contact HMRC and have your tax code reviewed.

Any overpaid tax will be repaid to you.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I did not receive a P45 after leaving that job. What can I do now to prove that I’ve definitely quit that job

Thank you for your reply.

You should write to your ex-employer and state you left the employement on a given date and that the employer should issue you a P45. YOu must have retained your last payslip. You can use the figures from that payslip to deal with HMRC.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What should I say to HMRC? Unfortunately I did not retain the payslip, but there was transaction record on my bank account. What else can I do!

Thank you for your reply.

You can request payslips but ideally get a P45 from ex employer.

You need to check your tax account. It should show your tax status from employments covering name of employer, gross taxable earnings and tax paid in last tax year.

In the absence of supporting documents you have a weak case.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It’s from my tax account which I noticed that my employment status with the company that I worked part time for has not been updated with HMRC
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I quit that part time job in April 2020. Then started a full
time in July 2020. My new employer did not ask for my P45 as I’m assuming it’s because it’s another tax year
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Now when I’m checking my personal tax account recently I came across to realise that my ex part time employer has put my details as to be working for them from till March 2021
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m worried as I’m a tier 2 visa holder this would breach the condition, however I did not work and did not receive pay

Thank you for your reply.

If you did not work and did not receive any pay then you should not unduly worry. You should have kept your payslips. You only have yourself to blame in this case.

You should state all the facts when renewing your Tier 2 visa.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
is there any way to get the details updated? I am not renewing my visa. But since I have a full time job, having two jobs on record have caused my to underpay tax
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is tax details on my HMRC tax account crosslinked with UKVI? if the wrong information on my HMRC account is left unattended, will this affect my future visa application if I wish to return to work or study in the UK?

Two jobs on record is not an issue.

You need to make sure you are paying the correct tax by having a correct tax code. Your full time job hopefully has a tax code that gives you full personal allowance of £12570.

Tax records are updated everytime a tax return is filed and/or P60 is issued by employer at end of tax year.

I hope this helpful.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Having 2 jobs on record is not an issue even I’m a tier 2 visa holder?

It depends when you had the two jobs and whether they were declared or not.

I am not an immigration lawyer and can't expand on your concerns.

I have now answered all your tax related questions.

I will appreciate if we could regard my responses/answer to this question as accepted.

Many thanks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.

Best wishes.