TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

If I travel by car together with my wife from the EU to UK,

If I travel by car together with my wife from the EU to UK, will we receive 2 x duty free allowances?Many thanks.

You cannot combine allowances with other people to bring in more than your individual allowance. You each have an allowance

The amount of goods you can bring is commonly known as your ‘personal allowances’. Personal allowance rules apply to any goods you have bought overseas and are bringing in to the UK.

These rules apply to goods regardless of where you bought them. This could include:

a duty-free or tax-free shop

on the high street in the country you’ve visited

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. Just to check I understand. If we each have, say, a personal allowance of 9 bottles of sparkling wine, could we bring 18 bottles, or would that be considered as combining our allowances? Many thanks.

Per the HMRC site :Alcohol allowance

How much you can bring depends on the type of alcohol. You can bring in:

beer - 42 litres

wine (not sparkling) - 18 litres

You can also bring in either:

spirits and other liquors over 22% alcohol - 4 litres

fortified wine (for example port, sherry), sparkling wine and alcoholic drinks up to 22% alcohol - 9 litres

You can split this last allowance, for example you could bring 4.5 litres of fortified wine and 2 litres of spirits (both half of your allowance).

You may have to pay import VAT, customs duty and excise duty on alcohol you declare.

You cannot combine allowances with other people to bring in more than your individual allowances.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. I'm still not sure whether that means that two people could bring in 18 litres of sparkling wine, or if that would be considered to be combining their allowances. Many thanks.

The 2 of you could travel together and each of you are allowed the 18

Customer: replied 14 days ago.