How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10608
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I was hoping you could help me with a stamp duty question?

Customer Question

Good afternoon, I was hoping you could help me with a stamp duty question?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I'm looking for a Tax Professional to speak to about this.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 16 days ago.

What is your problem, please. In what part of the UK is the property?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Good afternoon, I am trying to find a way to minimize our stamp duty implication for the purchase of our new home. A few years ago my husband's father gifted my husband and his brother a house to share. Will this cause us to pay the 3% surcharge on our stamp duty the the new home we are completing on this month?The gifted property is in Lytham and the one we are purchasing is in Nantwich (North West England).
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 16 days ago.

The 3% surcharge will apply. If a duplicate dwelling is disposed of within three years you can ask the Stamp Office for a refund of the surcharge.