How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10576
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Citizen and resident and will be relocating to Saudi Arabia

Customer Question

Hi, I am UK citizen and resident and will be relocating to Saudi Arabia next month for 3 years. Need tax advise regarding residency, split year tax treatment.. in order to optimize tax affairs
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: looking for one at the moment..
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 days ago.

When you quit these shores be sure to sent a Form P85 to your UK tax office. On receipt you will be classified as non resident. For the departure tax year the split year procedure will apply, one part resident, the other part non resident. The form provides for the refund of tax overpaid on departure.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** say refund of overpaid tax, this is relating to the UK tax , correct? Ie the taxman would have given tax code for 21/22 year based on full time earnings, whilst in practise my earning would stop in Oct and so I have likely paid too much tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 days ago.

Then as you depart you will get a refund, but don't hold your breath. Delays in the system these days are huge.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
indeed, not expecting a swift refund... thanks for your help. last one: I am a charterted accountant but not a tax specialist, based on your experience, is this manageable on my own? Understand you might be a bit biased but keen to get your views in dealing with HRMC whilst abroad.. please feel free to send me your details, I am not familiar with this platform and rather deal direct. thanks
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 days ago.

It happens every day with the increase in mobility, albeit reduced now with COVID-19. Saudi Arabia is currently on the Amber list.

Just Answer protocol does not allow me to engage privately. Your only engagement with HMRC is likely to be if you let out your house or flat.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 days ago.

Delighted to have been of assistance.