taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a question about National Insurance Tax (UK). If I

Hi. I have a question about National Insurance Tax (UK). If I have two jobs, would I need to pay NIC for the second job also?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

National insurance contributions are based on your earnings and not number of jobs you have. Each job will be treated separately when deductions are made at source under PAYE scheme.

More on this here

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will describe my specific case. Me and my wife have a company and we are both employed. We want to also employ our self at our own company with a low wage. From my understanding if I employ myself and my wife with a wage of less than £170 per week (£8840) per month, we won't need to pay NIC as employees and neither as an employer. We will only have to pay the income tax. Did I understood correctly ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Unfortunately I can't be on a call now as I am at work, but we can arrange for a call for these week.

Thank you for your reply.

Your understanding is correct. As I stated earlier, NI contribution is based on what you earn from your employer. If your second job employer pays you less than £170pw there is no NI deduction (employee or employer).

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will be interested in a call on how to set this up properly, what exactly do I need to to as an employer. Do you offer this kind of advice? If yes, I will leave this conversation open and I will request a call tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thank you for your reply.

I am a qualified accountant in practise and will be able to help you.

In the meantime, I will appreciate if we could regard my responses/answer to this question as accepted.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.

Best wishes.