How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10612
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My friend who lives in England receives a cheque from the

This answer was rated:

Hi, my friend who lives in England receives a cheque from the Cheroky nation every 6 months. Tax is taken off the cheque in America. He wants to get the American tax back. How can he do this please.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I spoke to a friend who is a tax expert this weekend and he advised he speak to the IRS. These cheques go back many years.
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: Well he has been getting these cheques for many years.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you

Under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the USA ay tax deducted by the States is allowable as a tax credit against his UK liability on the same income stream. This foreign income should be declared on self assessment. Failure to declare this income could result in a complete mares nest of unpaid liabilities and penalties.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Should he contact the IRS directly about this situation?

No need.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Should I call the IRS directly?

Why, the IRS are unlikely to agree a tax free transfer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Why would that be? as he doesn't pay tax or earn any money at all in the UK, why can't he claim the Americen tax back?

He could try, but I do not give him much chance of success.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you