Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I've got a question regarding RES1 form please, No, I

Hi, I've got a question regarding RES1 form please
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No, I haven't
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It's for a limited company. We starter providing a service to a company in Portugal

What is your problem, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not sure how to choose the type of income, as well as the certificate date? The date should be in the past however I'm not sure how this is going to work with the form that need to submit together with the certificate.

What type of income are you trying to get exemption from due to the residency certificate as only you will know and from what date do you ne4ed to apply this from?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's services rendered to the company (we're a marketing agency). We've started trading with the in August and we will be for 6 months or so at least.

I need a more defined description then just services rendered - if you are a marketing agency - is this to create advertising for the business etc

And is this August 2022 or this past August 2021

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
we're creating a brand strategy and an advertising campaign for the client. And it's this past August when we issued first invoice.

Then Income type will be trade income and the date will be whatever date in August

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But this will be the end date? The form asks for the start and end date but the end date has to be in the past.

Yes that's right you said it was August past so Aug 2020 that is now in the past

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry, just to clarify. I should enter August 2020 as the start date and August 2021 as the end date?

If that’s the case - as you haven’t said what period you need it from or to

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is the problem, We've only started trading with them in August 2021 and will be for another 6 months or so (until maybe January 2022). I'm not sure what the best dates are to choose for the certificate.

Then you can state Aug 21 but end date had to be no earlier than today’s date

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
However the form only allows to enter a date in the past as the end date, that's why I find it a bit confusing.

And they will be past  dates as any date prior to today is in the past

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, thanks,

HI

You are welcome

You may find as you continue to supply services that they will ask for another RES1 certificate so just supply them as requested

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you and I need to just ask again - does the start date for each I need the certificate matter? If I put the beginning of the year, will that work?

HI

Why would you need to put at the beginning of the year when the work didn't start until Aug 2021 ? But if you are concerned that he EU/Foreign  country sees you as resdient as a company for the whole year then you have nothing to lose putting a date that in the past

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, Only because of the fact that we need to put the end date in the past too.

HI

Yes which is the date before todays date as already advised (as you will complete as todays date)

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you again.

You are very welcome