How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31040
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am a US citizen (with dual Irish citzenship) living in

This answer was rated:

Hi I am a US citizen (with dual Irish citzenship) living in Ireland for past 20 years. I am looking to roll over a portion of my US traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. I have not made any contributions to it since moving to Ireland and it is now at about $150K. Do you have to declare this rollover on Irish tax return. In Us you would but I wouldnt pay tax as I am an expat with foreign earned income and my standard deduction would negate any tax owed. Kind regards Cathy
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No just googling options.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is it thank you

A Roth IRA conversion involves transferring retirement funds from a traditional IRA or 401(k) into a Roth account. Since the former is tax-deferred while a Roth is tax-exempt, the deferred income taxes due must be paid on the converted funds at that time.  Yes the US will tax you and no standard deduction will prevent that tax.

Ireland will not tax you on the conversion

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
will I still have to show this deferred taxes due from the rollover on my Irish return? An ultimately pay the tax either way?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
O sorry just saw your response. Is this stated somewhere in the Double Tax Treaty with US and Ireland?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
since Ireland wont tax me on the conversions would I even have to report in on the irish return?

No it is US tax law on IRA transfers

You are not required to report on Irish return

Here is the US law  26 CFR § 1.408A-4 - Converting amounts to Roth IRAs.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok that is super. thank you so much. very helpful :)

You are welcome

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you