How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10584
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm a Swiss citizen and would like to apply for UK

This answer was rated:

Hello, I'm a Swiss citizen and would like to apply for UK citizenship. How is this going to impact my taxes if I decide to move back to Switzerland? Will I have to pay taxes in both countries (double nationality taxation)? Will this impact my husband who's not UK citizen?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that's it

If you do hit double taxation remember that the UK has a Double Taxation Treaty with Switzerland where tax paid in one country is allowed as a tax credit in the other. If you are both intending to dwell in the UK, then an UK citizenship is always a good idea. My wife is Thai and I put her up for her UK citizenship on the day she was entitled to apply. She can now, with dual nationality, float in and out of the UK or Thailand using the appropriate passport. Not so her elder sister who is married to a German. Germany does not recognise dual nationality.

Having said all that, if you elect to move back to Switzerland make sure you send a Form P85 to HMRC and then you will be classified as non resident. The fact that your husband do not hold British citizenship is irrelevant.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello and thank you for your answer. Could you please give me a situation when I might be hitting double taxation? If we don't intend to dwell in the UK, is it worth applying for a UK citizenship? However, if I decide to stay in the UK and have a company in the UK (Ltd), do I have to pay taxes in Switzerland? And if I decide to move back to Switzerland, I don't have to pay taxes in the UK, right? Being non-resident in the UK will entitled me not to pay any taxes in the UK, right? My husband will never be liable to my UK taxes with his wealth taxes, right?

As I said the Treaty should protect you. If you are not going to stay in the UK why bother, getting citizenship is an expensive exercise these days.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
other than paying for the application, it shouldn't be a problem with dual taxation thanks to Double Taxation Treaty that would protect me if I decide to be in one country or the other? We never know if I want to send my kids to school in the UK or want to move back to the UK at some point since I would need a Visa in the future if I ever decide to do so.

But not if you had a British passport.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you