taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

When does 15% stamp duty apply on house purchase. not yet

when does 15% stamp duty apply on house purchase.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet hoping to buy at auction in 1/2 hour
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: buying through a limited company at 500-650k
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) is charged at 15% on residential properties costing more than £500,000 bought by companies. There is also a 3% surcharge (extra stamp duty) on residential properties bought by companies.

More information on stamp duty for LTD companies here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-corporate-bodies

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thankyou, I have the information above already but am confused about the company 15% stamp duty ruling. When is it applicable? would it apply to me and my wife buying through our company, a property which we will let out.

Thank you for your reply.

If the property is purchased for rental business, then 15% higher rate charge will not apply.

Look at HMRC internal manual SDLTM09555 here

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm09555

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!

I thank you for accepting my answer.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.

Best wishes.