How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10828
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am going to work from home in the U.K but continue the

Customer Question

I am going to work from home in the U.K but continue the employment contract with my Hong Kong employer. Therefore, I still need to pay for Hong Kong salary tax. Can I claim any foreign tax credit when I file the UK tax return?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 15 days ago.

Yes, you can, you just declare your HK income and the tax deducted on your self assessment tax return. Under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and HK any tax deducted there is allowable as a tax credit against your UK liability on the same income flow.