Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I do the accounts for my daughters equestrian business. I

I do the accounts for my daughters equestrian business. I have a query regarding expenses she incurs when she trains and competes. She runs training clinics for clients which cover a range of equitation disciplines. She gains clients by way her competition being her shop window as clients follow her on social media and then book lessons with her. This is her way of advertising her competence to teach them. Also in order to keep her abilities to train others up to standard she pays for training herself.
Question -
Are the costs incurred through competing by way of her advertising her abilities and her training fees to enable her to train others effectively allowable expense deductions?

No she cannot claim the costs of competing as this is clearly more personal as than advertising her business - if she were to attend these events and NOT compete then the costs would be allowable such as  ticket entrance fee etc but as she does compete she gets a personal gain so its not wholly and excluiveley in the perforamce of her self employed duties

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your prompt answer regarding competing. I understand the personal gain element within your answer but not why if she attends a horse event without her horse (as a spectator) why entry costs would be deductible.
Also there is a second element to my question regarding the training she undertakes to improver her riding skills that she then can provide more knowledgeable training to her clients. As I understand the information on https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed/training-courses this would be allowable even though there is a personal advantage included in improving her own skills. Thanks.

Beacuse then that can cmpeltly be argued as just networkimg so 100% business elemtn

element *

HI the second element as you call it  has no bearing at all only updating existing skills are permissible to offer an up to date legal trade  she doesn't need to complete to provide the trade sghe does

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks but what about the training?

she*

Its not training as advised above she competesd thats it

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think the training and competing elements of the question are getting confused. Yes I your answer about the competing but my question also covers a separate issue in that she has individual training which she then passes the skills onto her clients. Simply, are the costs of the training an allowable business expense.

There is no difference its competing as where does the training come from that she receives ? you have not adcvised this

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The competing is at national dressage events. The training is individual lessons with a trainer completely separate from attending a competition. Hope that clarifies the situation

No this isn't allowable as its not training her to provide better training to her clients but training her to do better in competitions so undertand how you are thinking but hMRc would not allow this

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK that answers the question thanks for your help

You are welcom