How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31343
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

On my self assessment where do I put in income from 3

Customer Question

On my self assessment where do I put in income from 3 amounts of universal credit as there is nowhere as it wasn't tye government grant as I'd not been fully self employed for long enough
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: Sole trader
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: How much?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's daft as UC is untaxable but I was told by UC is taxable. So I've kept records of 3 amounts I've had on low months but there is nowhere on self assessment to report it unless I put it in with all other income and not separate, as tye other covid grant questions don't include UC
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 days ago.

Universal credit payments are not included in your income. If you have income that is not taxable, you do not normally need to tell HM Revenue & Customs (‘HMRC’) about it.

Universal credit is a new benefit introduced gradually from April 2013. It replaces six other benefits – income-support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, housing benefit, child tax credit, working tax credit and income-related employment and support allowance.

Universal credit is non-taxable.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Why have they told me that it is taxable and that is UC when they overpaid me one month (that's sorted)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm not paying more to call. I'll claim my ¥5 back. Not much help
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 days ago.

I do not know why someone told you it is taxable.