How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8217
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My current salary is 36,000 and my tax code 1029L. In my

Customer Question

Hi my current salary is 36,000 and my tax code 1029L. In my previous job my salary was 28,000 and my tax code 1250L just want to check if the correct code is being applied?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant.

Please advise if your received a notice of tax coding from HMRC showing how they arrived at a tax code of 1029L
Many thanks

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I have not received a notice of tax coding from HMRC on how they have arrived at the tax code
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
As I am earning a higher salary I want to know if the tax code is correct
Expert: replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You may be on a higher salary then your previous job but an increase in salary should not have an impact of your tax code. A normal standard tax code for current tax year is 1257L giving you tax free pay of £12,570. It looks like your tax code has been reduced and the reason could be

- adjustment to recover underpaid tax from previous year

- adjustment ot take account of benefits in kind

Overall your tax free pay is reduced by some (12,570-10,290) £2,280 equivalent to some £456 in tax.

If you are not clear on why your tax code has been changed to a lower number then you should contact the tax office and ask for your tax code to be reviewed.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Expert: replied 20 days ago.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!

Many thanks