How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31358
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have been resident in the UK for the last 22 years. I

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have been resident in the UK for the last 22 years. I bought a property in Ireland in 1997 for my late mother to live in. She lived in the property rent free and upon her demise in 2020, I subsequently sold the property. The Irish Tax Authority deemed i had no tax liability on the sale proceeds as i had provided a residence for a dependent relative for 23 years. I have then remitted the funds to the UK. My question is am I liable for CGT in the UK, on these funds allowing for the appreciable difference between the purchase price and selling price of the property. If yes is there a calculator to assess the 1997 price of purchase against the 2020 sale price.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet, i am just trying to get my ducks aligned for my 20/21 self assessment submission
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that i am aware

You pay Capital Gains Tax when you ‘dispose of’ overseas property if you’re resident in the UK.

You only have to pay Capital Gains Tax on your overall gains above your tax-free allowance (called the Annual Exempt Amount).

The Capital Gains tax-free allowance is:


Use this link

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is there any tapering relief, given the property cost the equivalent of £140k in 1997 and realised £300k in 2001, or am I paying a flat CGT on £147,700? In short HMRC gain from something that i benefit after 25 years?

You pay on all your gain. If you were selling an assets owned before April 1982 you could use the market  value  in 1982.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you