How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert Lu Your Own Question
Expert Lu
Expert Lu, Business Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 377
Experience:  ACCA Diploma
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Expert Lu is online now

I n January of this year I missed the self assesment

Customer Question

hello, I n January of this year I missed the self assesment deadline due to being stranded in Ireland because of Covid restrictions. I telephoned the tax office where I send my return a few days before the deadline. I told him that I could not access my papers or information as it was all on my computer in England and I was in shielding in Ireland.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no, If I could just fill you in a bit more...... I am retired and live on the state pension . my total income is well below the limit for tax liability. I do not believe that I am required to submit a tax return. Howeve they sent me a fine notice for 100pounds which I paid in March. When I returned from ireland inAugust there was a demand for 1200 pounds and recently one for 1300. A month ago i sent them the return and my reasons for not getting it in before the deadline, and my belief that I was not obliged to submit it anyway. I have had no reply and no acknowlegement. What can I do; I do not owe them any tax, nor am i obliged to make a return but still they ask for m oney........
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.
Hello and welcome.
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.
I am an expert with JustAnswer and I am happy to assist you with your question.
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.
I am currently reviewing your question and I will get back to you .
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.
Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.
Expert Lu.
Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.

You had the right to appeal to inform HMRC that you were not in agreement with their decision. I would strongly recommend that you make payment plan with them to pay this as the penalty will keep accruing.

I am very sorry about your situation  but it can be rectified.  Try get hold of them over the phone please to confirm  if they saw your last correspondence.

I wish you all the best.

Expert:  Expert Lu replied 13 days ago.

Please kindly feel free to ask if you need me to clarify my answer.

Expert Lu.