How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8207
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Also a UK resident. My uncle (German and resident in

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm German and also a UK resident. My uncle (German and resident in Germany) wants to send me a monetary gift of approximately £10,000. Will I have to pay tax on the gift in the UK?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly. Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

There is no gift tax in the UK. Recipient of gift receives it free of tax in this country. You don't declare this amount on your UK tax return.

You may wish to alert your UK bank of impending remittance to comply with Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions - I am happy to help!

Many thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response.

So, it doesn't matter which country that money comes from, no?

Many thanks,


Josefine, thank you for your reply.

It makes no difference where the funds are coming from. You as a recipient of funds in the UK will receive them free of tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

I'm glad I could help you resolve this today. Please follow up here if you have any other questions.