taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

How do I submit a Statutory Residence Test in order to

How do I submit a Statutory Residence Test in order to obtain a tax residence certificate in the UK?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant.

Please advise

- do you live in the Uk and pay your taxes here

- do you have foreign income

- why do you need a certificate of residency in the UK

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
yes I live in the UK and pay taxes here
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have foreign income
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I need a certificate of residence in the uk for the years to come, just in case the Spanish tax agency requests it: my partner and my children will move to spain after Easter

Thank you for your reply. You did not wish to discuss your case on phone call.

If you are paying your taxes in the UK and need a certificate of residency from UK txa suthorities to cover a period in future you need to contact HMRC. You can do that here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-certificate-of-residence

There is more information on how to apply for a ceritificate of residence here

https://www.dnsassociates.co.uk/blog/how-to-apply-for-certificate-of-residence

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thanks, ***** ***** One more question: what if next tax year I spend less than 183 days in the UK? I know exactly how the test works. What I don't know is how to take it, where to submit it, or what evidence I will need to present. Could you please advise?

Thank you for your reply.

When you complete your tax return for next year then you should also complete supplementary pages SA109 to establish your residency status.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thanks this is helpful. The issue is that I do not complete tax returns. I am under the Pay as You Earn scheme. Is there a way complete tax returns anyway, or a way to complete just SA109?

Thank you for your reply.

If you are paying taxes under PAYE, HMRC should be able to provide you with a certificate. If you are in receipt of foreign income, then your should register for self assessment and obtain a UTR number to enable you to file a tax return online.

You can register for self assessment here

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/not-self-employed

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. Very helpful. No more questions from now. Have a great day

Thank you for your kind words.

Best wishes.