Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am looking to host concerts in London and Manchester but I

Customer Question

Hi I am looking to host concerts in London and Manchester but I am a corporation owned and active in Canada - should I be charging VAT on ticket prices?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Its one concert in each city for a total of 2 concerts in the United Kingdom
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

Expert:  Sam replied 7 days ago.

HMRC VAT state

The place of supply of admission to an event is where the event takes place, irrespective of where the customer or supplier is located. These include such services as:

entertainment and cultural performances - including sports events
the right to attend exhibitions, conferences, meetings or seminars
ancillary services - such as payments for cloakrooms or similar facilities

If the customer is a non-business customer then most supplies relating to events are subject to VAT where they are carried out. This includes all services connected to cultural, artistic, sporting, scientific and educational events, or entertainment.

I imagine most of your customers will not be businesses - if they are then its where they belong that determines the place of supply so have added the VAT notice guide for you in that instance

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-how-to-work-out-your-place-of-supply-of-services