How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16541
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am looking to host concerts in London and Manchester but I

Customer Question

Hi I am looking to host concerts in London and Manchester but I am a corporation owned and active in Canada - should I be charging VAT on ticket prices?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Its one concert in each city for a total of 2 concerts in the United Kingdom
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Sam replied 7 days ago.


HMRC VAT state

The place of supply of admission to an event is where the event takes place, irrespective of where the customer or supplier is located. These include such services as:

entertainment and cultural performances - including sports events
the right to attend exhibitions, conferences, meetings or seminars
ancillary services - such as payments for cloakrooms or similar facilities

If the customer is a non-business customer then most supplies relating to events are subject to VAT where they are carried out. This includes all services connected to cultural, artistic, sporting, scientific and educational events, or entertainment.

I imagine most of your customers will not be businesses - if they are then its where they belong that determines the place of supply so have added the VAT notice guide for you in that instance