Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Can I ask a question about NI contributions? No, I am a uk

Can I ask a question about NI contributions?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am a uk citizen returning to the uk. I wish to pay NI contributions to make up for my pack of.previius years payments

Thanks for your query

Usually there is a time limit for how long you can do this for

So how many years ahve you been absent and why were you abdent

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have lived in Asia for the last 20 years. I worked in south Korea from 2000 - 2007 and have been in Vietnam since 2008. I know I have paid about 18 month NI contributions bit I will move back to uk in March. I will work as an examiner in the UK.
How long do I have to be in the uk next year to pay NI and how can I catch up on my.oayments?

Only a whole year of contribution counts so from march 2022 to April 2022 that part year will not count

To pay the shortfall ask first for a state pension forecast to see what you owe and what years they will permit you to pay back

Link here for you to do this

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

usually class 3 voluntary contributions are set at £15.40 per week so make sure its worth paying them to make up to a full state pension

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What if I pay from march 2022 to December 2022?

It doesnt work like that

The tax year runs from 06/04 to 05/04 each year

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. So if I worked and lived in the uk from 6th April until end of October would that count as apayable tax year if I continued paying tax if II left the country for the rest of the year?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
As I would still be earning but from abroad paid into uk bank account

No as less than a full tax year as already advised when I stated "Only a whole year of contribution counts "

So this also applies for any backdated contributions you make they must be to either make or top up to a full year

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Whilst on the topic. I paid national insurance contributions in south Korea for 6 years from 2000 to 2006. Does.this count as making NI payments in the YK as there some sort of agreement between the countries?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
YK/ UK

I am a UK expert not Korean I am afraid but we do have a reciprocal agreement with Korea I am afraid so it will be a no -  see link here

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad