Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am filling in my self assessment as a company director who

I am filling in my self assessment as a company director who gets income from payroll, plus dividends. My employer also pays 10% of my salary amount into my pension. I also pay lump sums in throughout the year. Where on my tax return should I be filling in the amount my employer and I pay into my pension?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2020/21
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i am a 13.5% shareholder in the company I work for, obtained via EMI scheme, vested and paid up

You do not declare the amount you pay from your pre tax salary or the employers share just the additional amounts you pay from your post tax salary which you put in the box stating Payments to your employer’s scheme which were not
deducted from your pay before tax –

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do not pay anything from my pre tax salary. Each month my employer pays a contribution equal to 10% of my salary directly into my personal Scottish Widows pension (I opted out of the employer scheme). Do I declare this amount as well as lump sums I’ve asked my employer to pay into my personal scheme, I.e. from an annual bonus?

I had already replied to this but my response has disappeared you place it in Payments to your employer’s scheme which were not
deducted from your pay before tax –

And just the additional payments YOU male out of your post tax pay

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I’mCustomer a UK qualified accountant. Reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

If you opted out then your employer does not pay anything for you either

Its just your own contributions and its Payments to registered pension schemes where basic
rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider
(called ‘relief at source’). Enter the payments and basic
rate tax

And as you are the director of your own company this is not permitted as you opted out so the employer does not have to contribute

I thank you for talking with me and accepting my answer.

Best wishes