Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Well, I am a full time PhD Student at the University of

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Well, I am a full time PhD Student at the University of Manchester and I have been recently contacted by a research institution from Brussels to give assistance in a research project...
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: They have now sent me this contract asking me to fill up a "VAT Status" field, but I am not registered for VAT, once I don`t own a research company or anything...I am just a full time student...
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, I would assume I am exempt, but I am not sure of that and I need to fill this contract with my best knowledge of what to do...

If you are to be paid then you are not necessarily exempt from tax but may be from VAT
How much is the payment to made each year ? And have they advised you need to advise your tax office of this income for tax purposes  ? tell me what they have advised you as you would know more than me about this funding

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
It is an one off project, not annual or monthly payments...
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I just need to fill this "VAT Status" field in the contract they sent me and I need to know if, for the purposes of this contract I am exempt or not...

And I cant answer that without knowing your actual tax position and how much its for ?
I ask questions so I can give a full and accurate answer!

So how much is it for and what did they advise about the payment how much is it for and tax consequences ?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
They are paying me €2.000 for this project...they didn't give me any advice taxwise...

I can confirm then  no VAT and no tax either

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Good, can you inform me the specific legal provision according to which I can claim that exemption, please?

There is none as such you are below the VAT limit of £85000 and for tax purposes earn less than £12570 for tax purposes  so totally exempt