How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10817
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm in the process of submitting my final UK self-employed

This answer was rated:

I'm in the process of submitting my final UK self-employed tax return for 2020-2021 (I left the UK and ceased being a UK resident for tax purposes in January 2021) - Do I still need to make Class 4 NIC payments on account for 2021-2022 if I'm no longer living and working in the UK?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2020-2021
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that I am no longer a UK tax resident as of January 2021

When you quit these shores in January 2021 did you send a Form P85 to your UK tax office?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I did not... is it possible to do this retroactively?

Yes, there is no time limit as to the submission of a Form P85, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipty you will be classified as non resident. As a non resident there is no requirement to make NI contributions although it may be to your advantage to keep your card stamped to use an oid expression.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you