Accountant@Work
[email protected], Accountant
Experience:  Executive Director at [email protected]
115459650

I have LTd company and I am with the same accountant second

Customer Question

I have LTd company and I am with the same accountant second year now , I pay him monthly for the service but I don’t have formal contract with him. I have proof of emails that he supposed to send my tax return to hmrc, he is always busy and late. Now I received penalty letter. I don’t like to have a problem with hmrc, I can’t afford to pay for the whole tax return to new account. What can I do? My accountant said he will pay penalty but he still doesn’t have a time to send my tax return
Expert:  [email protected] replied 17 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm [email protected], a UK-Qualified Chartered Certified Accountant with over 15 years of experience. I'll be answering your question today.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you

Being busy is not an excuse for the Accountant to not submit your company accounts. You need to arrange a meeting with your accountant and provide him with all the pending information asap.

Alternatively you have no choice to either submit the accounts yourself or appoint a new accountant to deal with your ltd company accounts. Whoever you appoint will charge you a fee for preparing and submitting accounts.

As a director of the ltd company, filing accounts is your responsibility. As such you have to take steps to get this issue resolved because the penalties will be issued to the company and not to the accountant.

You may register on the HMRC and companies house in order to file the accounts yourself but bear in mind, this is a technical assignment and so you need to have a good understanding of the accounting rules to be able to submit the accounts.

Once the accounts are submitted, you can appeal the late filing penalties and hopefully, these will be waived off. But you need to take immediate steps

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you. Is there any way I can get the money back from the accountant that I already paid him?

If you can't afford to pay an accountant then i can only suggest you approach a family friend or someone who can help you file the accounts.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you for help, have a good day

You may request him to close your services and issue a refund. If you have not received any services for the months you paid him, you can claim the refund or alternatively advise him that you will have no choice but to complain to his regulatory body for poor service.

I'm sure the accountant would have no objection to refunding you as most firms prefer to keep good terms with leaving clients.

Ok thank you for help, have a good day

You're welcome. I hope you sort it soon.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you

byee