Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
115058980

How can I do an asset search for a deceased person? He lived

Customer Question

How can I do an asset search for a deceased person? He lived in the uk but 20 years ago retired overseas and died overseas.
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 7 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo Barrie, Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert. I’m currently reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks

What type of asset?

Usually, to apply for an asset search you will need to be authorised to act on behalf of the deceased. Therefore, we require a Letter of Administration or Grant of Probate. In addition, we will require their death certificate.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 6 days ago.

I haven't heard back from you. if you would prefer not to go through this process you could hire a professional to conduct the search on your behalf. This process typically takes around 2 months.

Alternatively, if the asset is a property and you don't want to hire a professional. You could search the land registry database.

Below is a link.

https://www.land-search-online.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwve2TBhByEiwAaktM1LJpkcLXu-YMuh0HCh3YbpTosvghrHtq13xJUancfLGKIUn_Xw6vlBoCObcQAvD_BwE

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Apologies. I’m actually asking on behalf of the deceased’s daughter, so I’ll pass the info on to her. She, too, lives overseas. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome. All the best.