Accountant@Work
[email protected], Accountant
Experience:  Executive Director at [email protected]
115459650

I am permanently leaving the UK moving to my home country

Hi, I am permanently leaving the UK moving to my home country (Cyprus) later this year. I will be relocating with my employers but will be resigning from the UK company and will be employed by the relevant subsidiary in Cyprus. I hold dual citizenship (British and Cypriot) but I was born and raised in Cyprus. I have been living in the UK for 10 years (5 for studies and 5 for work). I have a lot of questions in regards ***** ***** and what I need to do. My plan is to stay in Cyprus and not come back to the UK so I am hoping that I will cease to be a tax resident in the UK once I submit the relevant forms with HMRC. It is likely that I will travel back to the UK from time to time but I don't expect that to be for longer than 90 days in a year. Is there anything I need to watch out for or do you have a general advice you can give me please?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No, not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm [email protected], a UK-Qualified Chartered Certified Accountant with over 15 years of experience. I'll be answering your question today.

When you decide to leave the UK permanently, you should submit a form P85. You will be regarded as non-UK resident from the day of departure.

As non UK resident, all your income from outside of UK will neither be reported nor Taxed in the UK.

I hope I've answered your question? If, however, any part of my response is unclear, please do let me know and I'll try to explain it further.

To determine your Residence status, if you want to visit the UK regularly, you should go through the tests

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rdr3-statutory-residence-test-srt/guidance-note-for-statutory-residence-test-srt-rdr3

I hope the above is helpful.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you have any experience on Cyprus tax at all?

No. Unfortunately not.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That's fine. Therefore, how will tax be dealt if I am in the UK now and I expect to leave permanently in July? Obvsiouly, I currently pay tax through PAYE so I assume once the P85 is submitted they will stop claiming tax and won't expect me to pay anything unless I tell them that I need to pay?

Correct. When you leave the UK and submit a P85 form, HMRC will assess your income and tax paid and could even issue you a tax refund if you have overpaid on employment.

Once you are issued a P45 from your UK employer, there will be no tax to deduct as your pay will not be coming from this UK company.

You will be re-employed by the Cyprus subsidiary and be subject to the tax regime of the country of residence.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help
You're welcome. Happy to help