Accountant@Work
[email protected], Accountant
Experience:  Executive Director at [email protected]
115459650

I am under the skilled 2 tier visa. I am working full time

Customer Question

Hello good evening, I am under the skilled 2 tier visa. I am working full time in the NHS. My tax code code is 1257L. Likewise, I am registered in our bank staffing services (same trust who sponsored me) My tax code is BR. I recently joined an outsourcing nursing agency. ( I made sure I do within the 20 hrs limit under my visa) The company said I need to pay my tax at the end of the financial year. I am worried how much i need to pay for my tax and What is the appropriate tax code for the agency shifts to avoid any problems. Thank you
Expert:  [email protected] replied 16 days ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm [email protected] and I'll be answering your question today.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You don't need a tax code to report your agency earnings. If the agency gives you a p60 end of year certificate then you would combine all three P60's and report on your self assessment tax return. Your total tax will be automatically calculated minus tax that has already been paid through Paye and final payable will be reported to Hmrc.
I hope the above is helpful.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I dont need to inform hmrc that I started doing agency shifts as part time?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am very careful because I am under skilled visa. I dont want to have a problem in the future for my ILR application. I am just worried because the agency shifts that I do they dont deduct any taxes. I get it as full.
If the agency does not deduct tax from you then it means that the agency is treating you as a self employed person. 

This could have implications on your ILR if your skilled Visa does not allow you to be self employed.

However as far as reporting is concerned, you will need to register for self assessment to obtain a Unique tax reference number (UTR) and then report all your earnings in a tax year 06 Apr 2021 - 05 Apr 2022 via a self assessment tax return.

You will have two employment incomes from NHS P60's and Self employment agency work income.

You will use the information from these documents to report income and tax paid on your tax return.

The deadline for submitting a tax return for the tax year ended 05th Apr 2022 is 31 Jan 2023.

I hope I've answered your question, however, if you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for the reply. Is there a chance i can make it right to not affect my ILR application. If i wanted to carry on the agency shifts how can i make it as PAYE so my tax will be automatically deducted. I just wanted everything to make things right. I have two more years to go before getting my ILR. My agency company did not inform me regarding this.

You need to seek clarity on the agency work status. Ask them are you an employee or freelance self employed?

Usually for self employed, tax is not deducted. If you are self employed than you need to consider its impact

I hope I've answered your question? If, however, any part of my response is unclear, please do let me know and I'll try to explain it further.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They said im self employed. They are aware of my status in the beginning and they said nothing about it. They informed to get an accountant to have it sorted at the end of the financial year. I just want to pay the tax return and make everything right. Thank you sir.

They've only given you half the information. Yes you are self employed and you have to submit a tax return to pay your taxes on agency income however what they or you did not consider is whether your visa status allows you to be self employed or restricted to employment.

You can submit a tax return and pay the tax on this agency income. But when it comes to ILR would the home office raise any question about breach of visa conditions on being self employed? That's the question you need to think about. If it does then you have no choice but to stop agency work immediately. What's done is done, you now have to report your agency earnings on a tax return as self employed.

I cannot give you a legal advice as it is upto the immigration experts. As far as tax is concerned, I've advised you on how to report the earnings via self assessment tax return.

If you need help registering for self assessment and submitting a tax return then you may seek an accountant from JustAnswer or local area of your residence. He will set up and submit your return.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much sir. You are such a big help

You're welcome. If you needed help with submission or registration, please feel free to approach me.

Thank you for using JustAnswer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How much do you charge? Thanks
To submit a tax return, the fee is £175. For registration of self employment the fee will be £50.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Lovely. Is there a chance you can give me your email or contact number so i can get back to you. I have already discussed to you my concern so I think its better I let you handle my tax and you explained it to me very well.
ofcourse. JustAnswer allows use of premium service to share contact details. I will send you the offer of phone service. Once contact is shared we can discuss the engagement outside of JustAnswer platform.